Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Tomato Soup & Chocolate Milk


Tomato soup and chocolate milk remind me of my friend Doris.

Doris came to live at the rest home about 4 months after Eric started working there. Eric and I had only been married a short time by then. Doris liked Eric right off. She would tell Eric several times a day “ I think your cute Eric. “ She would give Eric cards or notes on the holidays and Eric’s birthday. Sometimes she would make crafts and give to us. When I had Nicole, Doris became our adopted grandma. We kept her room stocked with family pictures and artwork of Nicole which she proudly displayed for all. We would visit Doris frequently. She had no family that visited regularly. Doris had never married nor did she have any children. Occasionally her brother would come to see her, but for the most part we were her family.

A few years passed and Justin was born. Doris immediately loved Justin. Although Nicole always had a special place in her heart. Doris continued with her infatuation with Eric. Eric’s coworkers liked to tease him about that. I thought it was sweet.

Then in the summer of 2007 I decided to get my C.N.A working at the same rest home . I worked on the same hall the Doris resided. Doris was truly a sweetheart. She had the most contagious smile ( missing a few teeth ). Her laugh was even better. It was a quiet giggle that I looked forward to hearing. I loved taking care of my Doris. She had long white hair, as soft as a newborns. We kept it pulled back in a braid. She loved to have a coffee ensure, a glass of chocolate milk and a little tomato soup. I never saw her consuming anything different.
Eric was no longer Doris’ main squeeze , she had turned her affections to another resident named Tom. Whenever I couldn’t find Doris I knew she must be over visiting Tom on his hallway. Doris was so good to Tom. She always gave her winnings to him from the weekly junk food bingo game. When I would get Doris up in the morning, I would always ask her what she had planned for the day. She loved to make me laugh by saying she was going to make mad, passionate, love to Tom. I would just shake my head and giggle with her.

Doris knew two songs, Down in the Valley and Rudolph the Red nosed Reindeer, which she would sing to me often. In fact every time I would go to get Doris from visiting Tom she would sing Rudolph with me as we returned to her hallway. We got a lot of strange looks ( Doris sang really loud ). Down in the Valley was her favorite song to sing to me.
Down in the valley, the valley so low.
Late in the evening, hear the train blow.
Hear the train blow love
Hear the train blow
Late in the evening, hear the train blow.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew
Angels in heaven know I love you
Know I love you dear
Know I love you
Angels in heaven know I love you.

Send me a letter, send it by mail
Send it in care of Tijuana jail
Tijuana jail love,
Tijuana jail
Send it in care of Tijuana jail.

She would sing this to me when I was helping her get ready for the day, or when I was laying her down to rest tucking her in bed with her favorite stuffed animal, a dog named Jasper. She would change the words though, in the second verse she added my name to I love you.

Doris told me so frequently that she loved me. It wasn’t out of place to hear her hollering down the hallway, “ I love you Becky “ and of course me answering “ I love you Doris.” The first thing she would say to me in the morning was “ I love you Becky “ and again when I laid her down after lunchtime “ I love you Becky “ and of course before I went home for the day “ I love you Becky “. Giving her a hug and a kiss on the cheek was probably one of my favorite things to do throughout the day.

Friday February 1st Doris’ roommate called to tell me Doris wasn’t doing very well. Later that night our family went in to visit Doris. She was laying on her bed very peaceful.
I gave her a hug and told her that I loved her. I washed her face and her eyes, and then she opened her eyes for a bit while I sang to her…
Down in the valley, the valley so low.
Late in the evening, hear the train blow.
Hear the train blow
Hear the train blow
Late in the evening, hear the train blow.

Roses love sunshine, violets love dew.
Angels in heaven know I love you Doris
Know I love you Doris
Know I love you
Angels in heaven know I love you Doris.
At five am the following morning Doris passed away.
I will miss her.

1 comment:

annie said...

Becky that is a very touching story. Both you and Eric ment a lot to her because you cared and loved her.